Everyone can help make Grandparents Day a little grander this year.
Are you ready to #DoSomethingGrand? Check out the official Grandparents Day Take Action Guide, Generations United created with support from “Far From Alone” and Humana, for tons of ideas on how you can celebrate intergenerational connections and make a difference in your families or communities.
Commit to doing one of the 10 grand activities listed below with your grandparents, grandfriends, grandchildren, or other loved ones. Remember to take a photo of the activity to share on social media, tag Generations United, and use the hashtag #DoSomethingGrand.
- Read a book with your grandfriends, grandparents, or grandfamily caregiver.
- Take a walk together through your neighborhood or favorite park.
- Share family stories of your favorite memories together, your families’ history, or look through a family photo album together.
- Go for an outing as a family (i.e. dinner at a restaurant, to the movies, skating rink, hiking, amusement park, etc.).
- Cook a meal together using your favorite family recipe.
- Do an arts and crafts activity.
- Have a virtual coffee or lunch date.
- Participate in an in-person or virtual family game night.
- Volunteer together in remembrance of 9/11 or attend a 9/11 memorial service event.
- Gather in person as a family and share kind words to honor those grandparents, grandfriends or older caregivers who are no longer here. Afterwards, plant a tree or flower seed at a park, family garden or special location to amplify their remembrance.
#DoSomethingGrand Expressions of Love and Appreciation:
Show your love for your grandparents, grandfriends, or grandchildren by posting special notes and photos. Fill in the blanks in the statements below and share on social media, tag Generations United, and use the hashtag #DoSomethingGrand.
- “For Grandparents Day, I celebrate … because …”
- “My favorite way to connect with my loved ones is…”
- “My favorite memory of my grandmother/grandfather/grandfriend is …”
- “My grandmother/grandfather/grandfriend inspires me by …”
Even those who are not on social media can participate in this too! From your own home, you can:
- Write handwritten notes to your grandparents, grandfriends, or grandchild. Include in the envelope your favorite photos together.
- Call or video chat your grandchild, grandfriends or other loved ones and convey the love and appreciation you have for them.
- Bake healthy treats and deliver them to your grandchildren, grandfriends or loved ones. Or, pop in for a visit and bake them together!