Racial Equity Resources
- GRAND Voices Racial Equity Initiative (Generations United)
- African American Grandfamilies Fact Sheet (Generations United)
- American Indian and Alaska Native Grandfamilies Fact Sheet (Generations United)
- American Indian and Alaska Native Grandfamilies: Helping Children Thrive Through Connection to Family and Cultural Identity (Generations United and National Child Welfare Indian Association)
- African American Grandfamilies: Helping Children Thrive Through Connection to Family and Culture (Generations United)
- Out of Many, One: Uniting the Changing Faces of America (Generations United)
- Episode 13: Robyn Wind-Tiger on the Crises Impacted Native American Grandfamilies (Generations United)
- Racism and Violence: Using Your Power as a Parent to Support Children Aged Two to Five (ZERO TO THREE)
- Youth Changing the World Toolkit (Youth Service America)
- 10 Ways to Start a Conversation About Race (Race Forward)
- Grandfamilies COVID-19 Response Fund (Generations United)
- COVID-19 Fact Sheet for Grandfamilies and Multigenerational Families (Also in Spanish) (Generations United)
- Generations United’s CARES Act Summary on Grandfamilies (Generations United)
- Supporting Grandfamilies through the COVID-19 Crisis: A Tool for educating state and local decision makers (Generations United)
- Family Voices United Podcast segment on self-care during a crisis (Family Voices United)
- Grandfamilies As Advocates (Generations United)
- COVID-19 and Grandfamilies: TAKE ACTION (Generations United)
- Guide to Grandfamilies and COVID-19 Stimulus Payments from Congressman Danny K. Davis
- Blog: Grandfamilies: First Responders for Children (Generations United)
- Blog: Now Is Not the Time to Sever the Ties That Bind Generations (Generations United)
About Generations United
For over three decades, Generations United’s mission has been to improve the lives of children, youth and older adults through intergenerational collaboration, public policies and programs for the enduring benefit of all. We have been the catalyst for policies and practices stimulating cooperation and collaboration among generations, evoking the vibrancy, energy and sheer productivity that result when people of all ages come together. We believe that we can only be successful in the face of our complex future if generational diversity is regarded as a national asset and fully leveraged. www.gu.org.
About our Racial Equity Initiative
The purpose of the Grand Voices Racial Equity Initiative project—supported by the W.K. Kellogg Foundation—is to improve culturally-appropriate supports and services to African American and Native American grandfamilies by elevating their voices, perspectives, and expertise to inform and influence policy, practice, and research. Learn more.
Grandfamilies or kinship families are families in which children reside with and are being raised by grandparents, other extended family members, and adults with whom they have a close family-like relationship such as godparents and close family friends. About 7.8 million children across the country live in households headed by grandparents or other relatives. About 2.5 million grandparents report they are responsible for their grandchildren’s needs. In about a third of these homes neither of the children’s parents are in the home.
About our GRAND Voices
Generations United’s GRAND Voices Network is comprised of a select group of grandparents and other relative caregivers from across the country. GRAND members serve as strategic partners to inform policies and practices affecting grandfamilies and help reveal family strengths, needs and service gaps. They provide guidance and feedback on Generations United’s resources and advocacy on behalf of grandfamilies.