Every day this week:
- Follow our Twitter, Facebook, and website and share the Generations United messages. Check out our Grandparents Day Social Media Guide for sample content. Make sure to tag your messages #DoSomethingGrand.
- Let your grandparents, grandchildren and other older and younger people in your life know you think they are special.
- Volunteer with and advocate on behalf of another generation.
- Encourage your friends and family to swap their regular Facebook profile or cover photos with one that includes their grandparents and/or grandchildren and keep it up throughout the week.
- #TakeAGrandie for Generations United’s “Grandie” contest! Learn more
Tuesday, September 5
- Use Grandparents Day to have an intergenerational discussion with a young person or elder in your life the importance on vaccines for all ages. Here’s a guide to help start the conversation.
- Grandparents and older adults raising kids are the “quiet heroes”. Watch President Obama’s tribute to his grandmother.
Wednesday, September 6
- Check out our Take Action Guide and plan an intergenerational service activity.
- Learn about children raised by their grandparents in the Generations United Grand Successes: Stories of lives well-raised.
- In or near Riverdale, New York on Sunday? Celebrate Grandparents Day at the Hebrew Home at Riverdale. Learn more
- Protect your grand friends and get vaccinated with someone from another generation. Learn more
Thursday, September 7
- Want to make your community more intergenerational? Here’s a toolkit for creating age-advantaged spaces. Learn more
- Take a Tour of Your Town. Learn more about your hometown, as well as your grandparent or grandchild. See other ideas in our Take Action Guide.
Friday, September 8
- Did you know grandparents and other elders raising kids save taxpayers $4 billion/year? Learn about the other contributions of older adults.
- Our friend 90-year-old friend, Tom Taylor, shares the importance of vaccines for all ages. Watch the video.
- Volunteer together at a local Park. Pick up litter, clear out paths and remove weeds, all while being surround by the great outdoors! See other ideas in our Take Action Guide.
Saturday, September 9
- If you’re near Bad Axe, MI, be sure to check out the Johnny Prill Band’s free Grandparents Day concert! Learn more
- Plant a tree together. Place the legacy of your grand relationship into the life of an ever-growing tree. See other ideas in our Take Action Guide.
Sunday, September 10 – GRANDPARENTS DAY
- Encourage your friends and family to visit or contact their grandparents and grandfriends.
- Show your appreciation for nature in the Rachel Carson Intergenerational Sense of Wonder Contest.
- Explore the U.S. or the world with your grandchildren. Check out Road Scholar for their many intergenerational offerings. See other ideas in our Take Action Guide.